Canes and walkers are considered durable medical equipment (DME) and covered by Medicare Part B.
Like other DME, there are certain conditions your equipment will need to meet to be covered by Medicare.
Suppliers and doctors need to meet strict standards to enroll, and stay in, Medicare. Make sure to verify with each that they’re enrolled and accept Medicare assignments.
Medicare will pay for your walker if it’s considered medically necessary by your doctor and from a Medicare-approved supplier. Medicare will pay 80% and you will be responsible for the remaining 20%. Part B deductible applies.
How does Medicare pay for canes and walkers? Medicare can choose how it covers different kinds of Durable Medical Equipment. Depending on the type of cane or walker you need, you may need to:
- Rent the equipment.
- Buy the equipment.
- Choose whether to rent or buy the equipment.
Find a local Medicare plan that fits your needs
To get a cane through Medicare, you must have Medicare Part B or Medicare Advantage. Walkers covered by Medicare require a prescription from a Medicare-enrolled doctor. This step will confirm that a cane is medically necessary. This is the same process for all Durable Medical Equipment.
When you have a prescription from your doctor, you can buy your walker or cane from a medical equipment company that participates in Medicare. The medical equipment company will show you the Medicare-approved canes you can choose from.
Yes. You can’t get Medicare to cover your cane without one. Like all other pieces of Durable Medical Equipment, your cane must be medically necessary, prescribed by a physician, and purchased through a Medicare-approved supplier.
Does Medicare cover 4 prong canes?
If you need more support than a standard cane, a four-prong cane may be what you need. So, does Medicare cover canes with four prongs, also called “quad canes”? Quad canes are covered as Durable Medicare Equipment by Medicare Part B.
For coverage, the cane must be certified medically necessary and purchased from a Medicare-approved supplier. After, Medicare will pay 80% of the cost for your cane, and you’ll pay the remaining 20%.
Are you eligible for cost-saving Medicare subsidies?
There are specific steps you must take for Medicare to cover your walker. It needs to be deemed medically necessary and prescribed by a doctor. Then you need to purchase it through a Medicare-approved supplier.
Your Part B deductible applies. Part B will cover 80% of the cost, and you’ll pick up the remaining 20%. If you have a Medicare Advantage (Part C), some Part C benefits may pay more than the required 80%.
Is the upright walker covered by Medicare?
There are several types of walkers covered by Medicare. Upright walkers and standard walkers are Durable Medical Equipment. You may rent or purchase either through Medicare Part B and Medicare Advantage, as long as your walker meets the following criteria:
- It must be determined to be medically necessary by a qualified doctor or provider.
- A Medicare-approved physician must prescribe it.
- It must be purchased or rented through a supplier that accepts Medicare assignments.
Upright walkers that meet these standards should be eligible for full or partial reimbursement through Medicare.
Is the UPWalker covered by Medicare?
The UPWalker is a specific brand of walker that does not accept Medicare. That means you will pay full price for an UPWalker product. Your insurance company would determine reimbursement. [i]
Medicare will typically pay for a walker once every five years. [i] If you need a new walker before then, Medicare also can cover the cost of repairs, up to the cost of actually replacing it. A Medicare-approved supplier must perform any repairs. Medicare may replace your walker if it was stolen, lost or damaged beyond repair.
What extra benefits and savings do you qualify for?