A Principal Software Engineer at GoHealth serves in the lead role for designing high-performing, scalable, web-based software solutions that handle a high volume of transactions each day. The ideal Principal Software Engineer is a creative and strategic thinker, and an effective motivator and leader. Ideal candidates have expertise with building complex, user-facing web applications and the supporting APIs with an e-commerce focus. A Principal Software Engineer is an integral part of our Product Engineering team, serving as a thought leader in the group and as a mentor to their team.
Frequently cited statistics show that women and underrepresented groups apply to jobs only if they meet 100% of the qualifications. GoHealth encourages you to break that statistic and to apply. No one ever meets 100% of the qualifications. We look forward to your application.
- Serve as the go-to technical lead for high priority technical matters at GoHealth.
- Proactively identify new ways to develop and improve processes within your team and projects.
- Connect lower level technical details to the needs of the business.
- Advocate for and champion overall code quality, reuse, and extensibility, and serve as technical subject matter expert.
- Actively build, develop, and lead your team. Encourage ongoing professional development and mentorship of all team members, and cultivate a positive working environment.
- Promote thought leadership within the company and with the larger technology community in Chicago.
- Develop extensive knowledge of GoHealth platform architecture, services, and applications.
Skills and Experience:
- 10+ years of experience in Software Engineering (software design, architecture, implementation, deployment, and support).
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Engineering or similar field is preferred.
- Well-rounded experience, with a background in front-end and back-end development.
- Front-end experience with Typescript, node.js, React, and Redux a plus.
- Experience with Linux or BSD, and Open Source tools, frameworks, and technologies.
- Proven experience collaborating with multiple business layers, both internal and external, to deliver SaaS products through all aspects of the SDLC.
- Thorough understanding of the software development process, automation, and testing.
- Previous team leadership experience is required.
- Experience with various hosting solutions (AWS, VPS, on-premise, etc.).
- Fluent on topics of networking, transport protocols, security, and monitoring.
- Strong experience with various types of databases/application servers.
- Out-of-the-box thinker, ready to assert their vision and demonstrate passion for their work product.
Benefits and Perks:
- Open vacation policy because work life balance is important
- 401k program with company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Medical, dental, vision, and life insurance benefits
- Paid maternity and paternity leave
- Professional growth opportunities
- Generous employee referral bonuses
- Employee Resource Groups
- Work from Home Stipend
- GoHealth is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Due to the unprecedented situation of COVID-19, GoHealth has decided to protect our current and future employees by managing our business remotely. This is inclusive of interviewing, onboarding and each role day-to-day. Please consider that our roles will not be remote long-term and will return to an office setting once we're safe to do so following the guidance of local health authorities and the CDC.