Chief Actuary & SVP Strategic Business Insights
As a leading health insurance marketplace, GoHealth’s mission is to improve access to healthcare in America. For customers, enrolling in a health insurance plan is confusing and difficult, and seemingly small differences between plans can lead to significant out-of-pocket costs or lack of access to critical medicines and even providers. We use our technology, agents, and expertise to cut through the confusion and get customers enrolled in a plan with the right coverage and benefits.
Why Apply: GoHealth has established a culture where our employees feel empowered, engaged and inspired. We are looking for builders who will contribute to the long-term health of the company. We also understand that you may not check every box in our requirements list, most applicants don’t! In fact, frequently cited statistics show that women and underrepresented groups apply to jobs only if they meet 100% of the qualifications. GoHealth encourages you to break that statistic and to apply today!
About the role:
The Chief Actuary and SVP Strategic Business Insights (“CASBI”) serves as a business partner to the Chief Financial Officer (“CFO”), the senior management team and the Board of Directors / Audit Committee. The CASBI will have comprehensive management and oversight of GoHealth’s actuarial function including advancing the core pillars of lifetime value modeling, strategic marketing insights, and new product design. The CASBI is a key stakeholder in the strategic development and planning process for the enterprise.
The Chief Actuary is charged with driving the company’s achievement of financial targets grounded in actuarial support and while maintaining a balance with its revenue and risk management goals. It is vital that the CASBI be collaborative in developing and implementing financial and actuarial strategies and owning results alongside the senior executive team. The CASBI must operate with the utmost integrity, bring influential and effective interpersonal skills, possess refined emotional intelligence, and bring a forward-looking management view.
What you’ll do:
- Being a thoughtful business partner to the CEO & CFO, provide insight and counsel relative to all areas of strategic planning, growth, and financial leadership with an operational mindset.
- Direct involvement with the business leaders for timely budget preparation, forecasting, and analysis. This process should culminate in a blueprint for achieving overall strategic and operational objectives of the company.
- Managing an overall financial strategy that supports the company’s short-term planning, long-term vision, and operating plan.
- Assess and evaluate financial performance with regard to long-term operational goals, budgets and forecasts. Provide insight and recommendations to both short- and long-term growth plan, including informing carriers contracts and negotiations
- Identify, develop and execute analysis of business initiatives, product launches, or new service offerings
- Work with GoHealth Data Strategy team to build a predictive model that forecasts the survival rate of policies effectuated by GoHealth. Model should include:
- Detailed stratifications of customer demographics, lead source, agent tenure, carrier and plan type and other predictors of survival
- Predictive analytics informed by changes to market dynamics such as introduction of new plans, plan quality, and other to-be-identified predictors
- Perform actuarial analysis and inputs for reserving and estimation of monthly and quarterly financials
- Partner with external auditors for controls and financial reporting
- Work with accounting on monthly close and FP&A on budgets, forecasts and long range plan
- Inform Sales & Marketing decisions about growth strategy based on insights from LTV model to optimize profitability and growth, with focus on maximizing LTV/CAC and managing near and medium-term cash flows
- Partner with Sales & Marketing teams to identify controllable indicators of retention and inform and evaluate growth decisions based on these factors
- Identify whether post-enrollment predictors of retention exist that could inform member outreach or other actions GoHealth can take to improve retention
- Act as a catalyst to help support growth through both organic and inorganic means.
- Resourcing for growth by building and maintaining a best-in-class actuarial team throughout the organization.
- Motivate the team to stay curious and current on industry trends and the competitive landscape. Collaborate cross functionally to ensure knowledge sharing on market trends.
- Function as an everyday partner with sales, operations and technology leadership.
- Be a steward of our Leadership Principles and ensure the team lives by them every day.
- Serve as a credible, knowledgeable and trusted resource to the senior leadership team.
What we’re looking for:
The CASBI will be a broadly qualified and highly talented financial executive with extensive finance and operations experience in a high growth public company environment. The successful candidate will exude confidence, possess a low ego, and have a collaborative / transparent working style. S/he will also be self-directed and able to lead critical initiatives as required to realize the business strategy and have a strong results and strategic orientation.
Additional attributes would ideally include:
- The candidate will have a proven track record of performance as an actuary of a publicly traded company.
- Extensive experience and credibility working with the Finance and/or Audit Committees of a Board of Directors.
- He/she must have the unique capability to migrate from strategic to tactical thinking in order to execute the fundamentals.
- The ideal candidate will have proven success in building business-critical partner relationships as well as a proven capability in negotiating long-term, value-added partnerships.
- The Chief Actuary will be an internal business partner to the other members of the executive committee, therefore, ability to partner, disagree constructively, compromise appropriately and fight for what is critical are required.
- Continue to drive required process improvements and standardization throughout the company as it scales and grows.
- He/she will have a strong sense of self and sound judgment with the ability to make decisions and present recommendations with clarity and conviction.
- He/she should be capable of coming to an independent perspective of LTV forecasts without being swayed by competing interests while also being respectful of growth ambitions
- He/she should be able to balance pragmatism with accuracy – balancing speed of analysis with size of confidence interval. He/she should recognize the variability of the forecast while also being able to put forth an estimate
- The candidate will possess strategic agility and focus on the long-term strategy. A continuous business development focus.
- The candidate will have proven success driving results, while being mindful of productivity optimization.
- The candidate will have a demonstrated track record of leadership, team building, and culture development. Experience in developing talent / succession plans that aligns with the business strategies is a must.
- The candidate will possess strong communication skills.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, mathematics, finance, economics, accounting or similar preferred. MBA a plus.
- Actuarial Fellow Designation (FCAS) and Member of the American Academy of Actuaries (MAAA) required.
Benefits and Perks:
- Open vacation policy because work life balance is important
- 401k program with company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Medical, dental, vision, and life insurance benefits
- Paid maternity and paternity leave
- Professional growth opportunities
- Generous employee referral bonuses
- Employee Resource Groups
- Work from Home Stipend
- GoHealth is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Due to the unprecedented situation of COVID-19, GoHealth has decided to protect our current and future employees by managing our business remotely. This is inclusive of interviewing, onboarding and each role day-to-day. Please consider that our roles will not be remote long-term and will return to an office setting once we're safe to do so following the guidance of local health authorities and the CDC.